- Monroe Avenue
- Polk Avenue
- Buchanan Avenue
- Ridgewood Avenue Beach Crossover (north of Canaveral Sands Condo and Cherie Down Park)
Canaveral Fire Rescue received a beach wheelchair from the No Bad Days Foundation for use at the Mobi-Mats® beach accesses! This chair will be available on a first come basis and the Fire Department will deliver and pick up the beach wheelchair at one of the four Mobi-Mat locations upon request. Please call (321) 783-4424 between 8:00 a.m. and noon Monday through Friday to make the request.
The City of Cape Canaveral was finally issued a permit from FDEP on 3-23-17 to install Mobi-Mat RecPath™ non slip roll-up Beach Access Mat™ Pathways at Monroe, Polk and Buchanan Avenues with a Special Permit Condition of installation by 3-28-17. Following Staff, community and Mayor Hoog input in August 2016, the City made the conscious decision to create a more inclusive ADA accessible beach and heavily researched beach pathway products/materials to ensure the best long lasting, quality product would be purchased. We sampled products, contacted multiple vendors and reached out to Florida Cities and State Parks to gain firsthand information. The purchased Mobi-Mat™ beach access mats come from a French company called Deschamps Mat Systems, DMS, with an office in Cedar Grove, NJ. The Mobi-Mat™ technology has been around for over 20 years, and was originally designed for US Marine beach landings. The main advantages to using the Mobi-Mat® are:
- #1 Non-slip patented walkway surface in the United States and Europe.
- Created from 100% recycled polyester material.
- One (1) 60” x 50’ long mat is equivalent to one thousand (1000) recycled bottles.
- Compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 (ABA).
- Lightweight product for roll up/put down.
- Resistant to repeated vehicle crossings (County lifeguards, BCSO, PWS Staff, sea turtle surveys).
- Resistant to UV.
- Long lasting material inert to sea/salt water and fuels.
DMS/Mobi-Mat® products are widely used throughout Florida and can be found in the following Florida State Parks, Cities and Counties:
- Little Talbot Island State Park, Jacksonville, FL
- Suwannee River State Park, Live Oak, FL
- Don Pedro Island State Park, Boca Grande, FL
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Key Largo, FL
- Siesta Beach, Sarasota County, FL
- Grayton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
- Cocoa Beach, FL
- City of Fernandina Beach, Fernandina Beach, FL
- Panama City Beach, FL
Mobi-Mat® products have been used/can be found in the following places in the United States and around the world:
- Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
- Wasaga Beach, Canada
- Utah Arches National Park, Utah
- Cape Cod National Seashore, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Hunting Island State Park, South Carolina
- Tybee Island George, Tybee, Georgia
In September 2016, the City purchased six hundred (600) feet of Electric Blue Mobi-Mat RecPath™ nonslip roll-up Beach Access Mat™ Pathway for $21,250. Staff also designed three (3) ad mats branded with THE SPACE BETWEEN® that was inserted between path sections.
With this addition of Mobi-Mat RecPath™ nonslip roll-up Beach Access Mat™ Pathways, the City has become an even more attractive community with inclusive, fully accessible beaches. It is the hope of Staff that residents who have been unable to access the beach due to disabilities will again be able to enjoy the natural oceanside, witness the next big launch from the sand or even build a sand castle with family/friends.
The City has posted the Mobi-Mat® information along with several images to Facebook, and the feedback has been incredibly positive!
- Michele Abbenante I was at Buchanan today.....it was so much better with the Rubber Mat. The sand there is usually so deep and hard to walk in leave in on a wheel chair. What a difference! Thank you.
- Josh Folb So proud of my second home for making sun and sea accessible to all.
- Renee Hoog Yother Great work CoCC!! This makes me so happy to see that the physically handicapped can enjoy our beach up close and possibly bury their toes in the sand. Not only that, but these Mobi mats will serve multi purposes making the beach access so much easier for many families.
- Philip Wilde Way to go Cape Canaveral
- Kathy Braun They have these on some of the beaches in NJ. Pretty awesome. Also you can walk on it & not burn your feet
- Fran Robinson Thank you. My little girl does not walk but she loves the beach and surfs on her hands. We can carry her down now but won't be able to much longer.
- Carrie Sue Conroy Parnell Thank you, Cape Canaveral!!!! :-)
- Caroline Rodriguez We have these in California made of some type of wooden planks on 2 of our beaches , great for my grandson. Hopefully they will apply on more of our beaches.
- Debi Rosa Thanks Cape Canaveral. Our City Rocks!
- Colleen Bearns Mercer They deserve the beach just as much as everyone else does. Good job
- Barbara Presnell Very Very cool of Cape Canaveral to do this!!!!!
- John Bond Good job, Cape Canaveral! Looking out for our residents...all of them.
- Bill Cracker Mahler great idea a big shout out to Mayor Bob Hoog